[6.8] What are some features of C++ from a business perspective?
Here are a few features of OO/C++ from a business
- C++ has a huge installed base, which means
you'll have multi-vendor support for tools,
environments, consulting services, etc., plus you'll have a very valuable
line-item on your resumé
- C++ lets developers provide simplified
interfaces to software chunks, which improves the
defect-rate when those chunks are (re)used
- C++ lets you exploit developer's intuition through
operator overloading, which reduces the learning
curve for (re)users
- C++ localizes access to a software chunk,
which reduces the cost of changes.
- C++ reduces the safety-vs.-usability tradeoff, which improves the cost of
(re)using a chunk of software.
- C++ reduces the safety-vs.-speed
tradeoff, which improves defect rates without degrading
- C++ gives you inheritance and dynamic
binding which let old code call new
code, making it possible to quickly
extend/adapt your software to hit narrow market windows.