Only post to comp.lang.c++ if your question is about the C++
language itself. For example, C++ code design, syntax, style, rules, bugs,
etc. Ultimately this means your question must be answerable by looking into
the C++ language definition as determined by the ISO/ANSI C++ Standard
document, and by planned extensions and adjustments. Operating-specific
questions (e.g., about Windows NT / 95 / 3.x, UNIX, etc.) should go to an
operating-system-specific newsgroup (see below), not to
Here are some other potentially relevant newsgroups:
- Mostly OO design issues, with less emphasis on OO
- That group's FAQ contains an excellent introduction to OO along
with an overview of OO terms and concepts
- Discussion directly related to the evolving ANSI/ISO C++
- The evolving ANSI/ISO C++ standard is discussed below
- This group is intended for discussions about the selection and use
of tools for Windows software development
- This group is for all other discussions about Windows software
- There's one FAQ list for all the comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*
- Sample topic: Accessing C++ classes in a DLL
- Sample topic: A dialog as an MDI child window [with OWL]
- Sample topic: Disabled menu choices become enabled
- Sample topic: Using STRICT with windows.h
- Sample topic: A programmer's bibliography
- Covers Visual C++ .NET. If it doesn't appear in your news server use the
public MS news server at msnews.microsoft.com. Please do NOT write me
asking how to set up your newsreader.
- Much of the traffic is about language products, chiefly from Borland
- Note: The FAQ for this group is not available at rtfm.mit.edu; it is
at oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/info and
- Sample topic: How can I read a character without [waiting for]
the Enter key?
- Sample topic: How can I read, create, change, or delete the
- Sample topic: How do I configure a COM port and use it to transmit
- Sample topic: How can a C program send control codes to my
- Sample topic: How can I find the Microsoft mouse position
and button status?
- Sample topic: How can I write a TSR (terminate-stay-resident)
- Sample topic: How can I contact [Borland, Microsoft]?
- Borland's character-mode framework
- Sample topic: How do I use popen() to open a process for reading
- Sample topic: How do I sleep() in a C program for less than one
- Covers SunOS 4.x and Solaris
- Sample topic: Signal Primer
- Sample topic: Waiting for Children to Exit
- Sample topic: Where can I find a demangler?
- Sample topic: Getting gcc/g++ binaries for Solaris 2.x
- Sample topic: What documentation exists for g++ 2.x?
- comp.sys.mac.programmer.* and
- Bug reports for g++; see the g++ docs
- FAQ is posted monthly, and is maintained by
- Sample topic: I'm confused. NULL is guaranteed to be 0,
but the null pointer is not?
- Sample topic: So what is meant by the "equivalence of pointers
and arrays" in C?
- Sample topic: Why doesn't printf("%d\n", i++ * i++);
- Sample topic: How can I write a function that takes a variable
number of arguments? [stdarg.h or varargs.h]
- Sample topic: How do I declare an array of pointer-to-function
- Issues revolving around graphics programming
- If you want some source code for something, post your request
- General programming issues
Usenet isn't the only place that has forums to answer your questions. You
might also try Techi-Warehouse,
among others. Please don't email me asking to add others; I don't have time
(or the interest!) to make this an exhaustive list of forums.